Ashford has been at the forefront of advising various clients with regards to SEZ matters. In particular, we were involved in assisting one of the first and largest private SEZs in Kenya. It is currently the only operational SEZ in Kenya that is wholly privately owned. We work closely with the Special Economic Zones Authority (“SEZA”) who is the sole body in charge regulating SEZs in Kenya. Since the introduction of SEZ in Kenya in 2016, we have assisted clients with the following services:
Gazettement and licensing of SEZ developers and operators;
- Licensing of SEZ enterprises;
- Liaising with KRA to effect the iTax status of licensed SEZ enterprises;
- SEZ operational and tax incentive advisory services;
- Obtaining work permit for licensed SEZ enterprises through the SEZA;
- General SEZ advisory services.